Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Attempt

The next day I got restless. The carnival was as good as gone with only pieces of ash floating about to remind us of it, so I couldn't go there. Maybe I should meet someone. Add some spice to my life. Then maybe I could control myself more...

I walked outside the apartment building, narrowly avoiding falling down the crumbling stairs. There were two potted plants on either side of the entrance, crumbling and wilting with decay, but I noticed a solitary flower fighting for existence. So I plucked it! It was gonna die anyways, and maybe someone will like it. I started for the playground. Nice people hang out at the playground, right? Especially since there aren't any kids around.

When I got there, there were several people around. I noticed a woman sitting on a park bench so I decided to go up and talk to her. Smoothing back my hair, clearing my throat, I came up from behind and tried to decide what to say. "Hey--" CRASH!

The crash covered up my pathetic attempt at conversation. I looked towards where the noise had originated from and saw a bunch of men stealing an ATM machine. That's dumb, now the police will be after them, I thought. Amatuers.

The woman was now trying to dial 911 on her cellphone, but I could tell it wasn't working. I walked around to the front of the bench, intending to help her and hopefully learn her name.

"Would you like me to try? I'm good with phones," I smiled as I said this. She must have trusted me enough, or just didn't care anymore, because she said "Sure" and handed me the phone. I looked down,and felt the weight of the small phone in my hand. My fingers fit perfectly over it. I stared at the screen trying to remember what to do when the screen started to swim in my vision. No, I'm not gonna take this, I want to impress her and stealing her phone will NOT help, I thought.

"On second thought, I need to go..." I think she sensed my discomfort with the phone. She held out her hand to take it back, and I started to hand it to her. Almost there.

Almost. But not quite. I didn't even get to see her face as I ran off. Probably never would again.

No comments:

Post a Comment